Research: The do's, the dont's, the dread


It is a truth universally acknowledged that conducting research is a necessary evil. As a student, one and a half years of your life will be dedicated to conducting research. Last week were 4th year research presentations, and as 3rd years we were invited along with the hopes that we would be inspired. I suppose some of my classmates were indeed inspired, but I was left filled with dread. Its obviously a very long road ahead.
If I had to do an activity analysis on Research (it deserves a capital letter as it is A Big Deal), I would find that this activity requires exorbitant amounts of attention and concentration, intact memory,  good social skills, an ability to multi-task, good thought processing ability, and, last but never least, good volition. The above are in high demand but extremely hard to come by. Nevertheless, there is no escaping the clutches of research. I predict many Red Bulls, late nights and much duress. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let us not go into 4th year with all doom and gloom. I shall put on my optimist hat (it’s bright yellow and brimming with flowers and unicorns), plaster on a smile, and face the challenge head on. Just one last note of pessimism before we move on: I have this vivid image of Research being a bright blue double-decker bus just about to plough me over, as I stand in the middle of the Fourth Year Road wearing my optimism hat and beaming at the driver.
What is so daunting about Research is that the process requires a whole new way of thinking. As a student, I’m used to absorbing information like the happy sponge that I am, nodding away, and regurgitating spiel. Research takes that comfortable pattern of events, turns it on its head and shakes it silly. Now, I’m required to critique the findings of others, look for missing pieces and generate my own opinions. Not an easy change of gears. Therefore, being able to attend 4th year Research Presentations was a great chance to take notes and look at Research from a new perspective. The first thing I was struck by was how unique and thought-provoking the topics were. My favourites were one group’s presentation about action research that they had implemented and another group who had studied the impact of albinism on occupational participation. Both were interesting and relevant, with the Research itself being presented in a way that was attention-grabbing and understandable. I found that I could apply a lot of the sampling methods and methodology used to the Research that my group will be performing, and this made the Research seem more realistic to conduct. I also learnt about what not to do. Every group was brilliant, and I have huge admiration for their achievements. However, I now know that when I’m presenting, I need to SLOW DOWN. Almost every group spoke a mile a minute, making the research very difficult to comprehend and forcing the evaluators to ask them to return to slides. Lesson learnt.

Knowing that Research Day ignited a great fear within me, the need to conquer this was paramount. The 4th years were kind enough to share some pearls of wisdom with us after the event (I think they could see us shaking in our boots). Some advice that stuck with me was “know your strengths and the strengths of your groupmates”. This is very important because we are privileged enough to have a team to weather through the storm with, we need to take advantage of that. My skills are organisation and problem-solving, and I also enjoy working with people. Jacob & Furguson (2012), had some great tips for conducting qualitative Research (the type of Research that we will be conducting); which includes “close your mouth and listen” as well as “do a ‘test 1-2-3’ to check that the device is recording”. Sound advice to be taken on board. Furthermore, I’ll need to remember that “the researcher as instrument can be the greatest threat to trustworthiness in qualitative research if time is not spend on preparation of the field, reflexivity of the researcher, the researcher staying humble and preferring to work in teams so that triangulation and peer evaluation can take place” (Poggenpoel & Myburgh, 2003, p. 320). Already in the early stages of our proposal drafting, we have had challenges involving bias. One 4th year group was given questions by the evaluator regarding how they eradicated bias from their study, and I noted that this appeared difficult for them to answer. Another take-home lesson to store for next year!

Here’s some advice from the only resource that Millennials take seriously: Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyiYqwM6XY This video is about writing a dissertation in 2 weeks. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to this! But its from an undergraduate’s perspective and very funny. Worth a watch. Her advice about searching for case-study based research is something my group has taken on board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0pJdgY6Lc The idea of condensing 1.5 years of research into 10-minutes is crazy. This researcher condenses it into 3-minutes and sets a great example of how to give context to your problem and explain your methods and findings with clarity. Goals!

Overall, Research Day was a much-needed event in the 3rd year calendar. Being able to see an entirety of 1.5 years of work presented in 10-minutes was certainly overwhelming but was the wakeup call we needed to start seriously formulating our game plan. Research is daunting, but scores of students have survived it. Somehow, I’m sure we’ll figure out how to dodge the bus that is hurtling towards us. My optimism hat is now firmly in place.

References:
Berverly, G (GraceBeverly). (2019). How I wrote my dissertation in 2 weeks [video file]. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyiYqwM6XY

Jacob, S. A., & Furgerson, S. P. (2012). Writing interview protocols and conducting interviews: Tips for students new to the field of qualitative research. The qualitative report17(42), 1-10.

Poggenpoel, M., & Myburgh, S. (2003). The researcher as research instrument in educational research: A possible threat to trustworthiness? Education, 124(2), 418-21, 320.

University of South Australia. (USA). (2014). 2014 3-minute thesis winning presentation by Emily Johnston [video file]. Available at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0pJdgY6Lc


Comments